Friday, March 6, 2009

Random thought: Rejuvenated faith and love for my race? you betcha.



"shes the reason why that my fist is steady closed with the memory of those that we abandoned and I know she got my back "

"and they say that because I lost my native tongue that I forgot you, my heart still pumps the blood of datu lapu lapu, and i got you, and trutfully how could I not without you when the children in the belly hardly know a thing about you."

Over the past year I have realized that I have a rejuvenated love and respect towards my filipino heritiage. I just think its because I start to notice that the younger generations of filipino american youth are lacking the knowledge of their own race. I am pretty shocked when a bunch of my friends cannot understand a lick of tagalog/illocano/kapangpangan/visayan.

Just last October I hosted a workshop at this filipino american High School conference called "magkaisa" that pertained to the Filipino Americans making it big in the American Hip Hop industry. While I was teaching the kids I loved seeing the look of excitement in their faces knowing that their race is capable of doing such great things in a land like this.

Read a book and study yourself kids, Later on in your life when youre married and when you have kids you wouldnt want to look stupid in front of your offspring not knowing a thing about your heritage. There is one thing that can never be taken away from you and thats your race, remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment